by Carol Sandoval
Last night the 59th Annual Grammy Awards took place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, CA. Did you know that several of the nominees are proud MSI alumni? Check out five of these artists below, who were nominated for categories ranging from country to jazz!
1) Shirley Caesar: Shaw University (HBCU)—Raleigh, NC
Known as the “First Lady of Gospel Music,” Shirley Caesar studied Business Administration at Shaw University. She was a nominee for both Best Gospel Performance/Song and Best Gospel Album.
2) Gregory Porter: San Diego State University (HSI)—San Diego, CA
Gregory Porter attended San Diego State University, where he was also a lineman on the football team. He was a nominee for Best Jazz Vocal Album.
3) Herb Alpert: University of Southern California (AANAPISI)—Los Angeles, CA
Nominated for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album, Herb Alpert was a member of the USC Marching Band.
4) Carrie Underwood: Northeastern State University, (NASNTI)—Tahlequah, OK
Majoring in mass communication, country superstar Carrie Underwood graduated magna cum laude from Northeastern State University. She was a nominee for Best Country Solo Performance.
5) Michael Tilson Thomas: University of Southern California (AANAPISI)—Los Angeles, CA
Michael Tilson Thomas studied piano, composition, and conducting at USC. His style and expertise has paid off, as he was a nominee for Best Orchestral Performance.
What performance from last night’s Grammys was your favorite? Let us know in the comments below!