by Tania Irwin
By May 1, high school seniors must finalize their college selection. College will be your home for the next few years. To assist our students in the decision-making process, here are some of the Minority Serving Institutions that made the College Choice’s Safest Colleges and Universities List last year.
College Choice is an independent online publication dedicated to helping students and their families find the right college. To determine the safest colleges, College Choice researched 4-year institutions and their surrounding areas with the lowest crime rates. To narrow their results, researchers combed through each institution’s’ general crime report, documented hate crime list, gender (women) violence list, arrests made, fire incidences, and discipline enforced activity from 2013 to 2016. Each institution was given a(n): general safety grade, anti-discrimination grade, women’s safety grade, party scene grade, and fire safety grade, formulating the top 50 list.
1) CUNY Bernard M. Baruch College (AANAPISI)—New York, NY
2) University of Houston – Downtown (HSI) – Houston, TX
3) University of Massachusetts – Boston (AANAPISI) – Boston, MA
4) Nova Southeastern University (HSI) – Fort Lauderdale, FL
5) University of Alaska Anchorage (NASNTI) – Anchorage, Alaska
6) University of Texas – San Antonio (HSI) – San Antonio, TX
7) California State University – Long Beach (AANAPISI/HSI)—Long Beach, CA
To learn more about College Choice, click here.
To view the full list, click here.