by Kelly C. Lewis
October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, which is an annual campaign to increase awareness of the disease. All people, whether male or female, can develop breast cancer. While women are disproportionately affected, men carry a higher mortality rate than women. In efforts to combat the stigma and raise awareness many MSIs around the country are hosting stellar events to commemorate Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This week post features 5 MSI from 5 different regions across the nation.
1) City Colleges of Chicago-Harold Washington College (PBI)—Chicago, IL
City Colleges of Chicago–Harold Washington College wellness center will sponsor a free educational workshop, Brighten Up, on the basics of breast cancer health. Brighten up is designed to educate both men and women on breast and ovarian health. The workshop will include strategies to living happier and healthier and offer tools to access ones personal health. This event will occur on October the 3rd and the 11th.
2) Western New Mexico University (HSI)—Silver City, NM
Western New Mexico’s breast cancer awareness week begins October 9th through the October 12th. One of the program’s main goals is to increase awareness through a series of engaging events. Throughout the week, students have the opportunity to enjoy games, develop self-care tips and the opportunity to watch the Lady Mustangs volleyball team at the Dig Pink game.
Additional events are below:
- October 9 – Ribbons and Bands for purchase from 11AM-3PM
- October 12 –Yogurt Eating Contest
- October 12 – Balloon release for
3) Morehouse College (HBCU)—Atlanta, GA
Morehouse College is an academic community designed for the development of Black men though scholarship, teaching, and service. While Morehouse is one of the nations all male institutions, they are still commitment to issues facing women. Morehouse will host its 18th annual Grand Slam Event. This initiative will features four high profile breast cancer awareness events throughout the month of October.
Such events include:
- October 6 – 18th Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Brunch featuring Dr. Brian Rivers as the guest speaker
- October 6 –6th Annual Pink Frog Affair is an evening of poetry, music and dance.
- October 13 – Morehouse School of Medicine 4th Annual Pink Friday will have speaker Daniel Kellman, ND, FABNO Director of Naturopathic Medicine and Rehabilitation Services discussing bridging the gap between conventional and naturopathic therapies.
- October 14 – 3-mile breast cancer walk where proceeds will be donated to the American Cancer Society.
4) East Central University (NASNTI)—Ida, OK
At East Central University sports are used to promote breast cancer awareness. On Saturday, October 7th, East Central University football team will host its annual PINK OUT game against Northwestern. Similarly, the women’s volleyball team will participate in a PINK OUT.
5) Howard University (HBCU)—Washington, D.C.
Howard University Hospital and Cancer Center will be holding several events throughout the month of October to highlight Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Howard will kick off their breast cancer awareness events with the HUH Women’s Imaging Center Pinkie Party at Howard University Hospital. This event will include breast cancer screening and workshops designed to eliminate stigmas of breast cancer.
Other breast cancer awareness events include:
- October 14 – HUH Women’s Imaging Center Pinkie Party at Howard University Hospital
- October 15 – 4th Annual Rosemary Williams Breast Cancer Bruch (11am – 1:30pm, Martin’s Crosswinds)
- October 18 – Drift on 7th Howard University Cancer Center Philanthropy Happy Hour Event, 4pm – 7pm –
- October 23 – Campaign Chipotle fundraiser 4pm – 6pm (50% of proceeds go to (2301 Georgia Avenue)
Do you know any other Breast Cancer Awareness events at MSIs? Share in the comments below!